Sony Launches 4K Ultra HD TV Marketing Campaign
May 20, 2013
SAN DIEGO, May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In support of its new 4K Ultra HD TVs shipping this week, Sony Electronics today launched an integrated marketing campaign celebrating the stunning color and picture resolution of 4K.
The campaign features Garth Davis, who most recently co-directed Jane Campion's critically acclaimed miniseries Top of the Lake. After seeing Sony's amazing 4K picture quality on a Sony 4K Ultra HD TV at the Sundance Film Festival, Davis was inspired to make a 4K film to allow viewers to see deeper into his imagination. Working alongside Academy Award winning cinematographer Claudio Miranda, ASC, the commercial spot encompassing Davis' vision was shot on the Sony F65 and F55 professional 4K cameras. Native 4K footage from the shoot will be showcased at retail next month where it can be enjoyed in its finest detail on Sony 4K TVs.
"The Sony 4K Ultra HD TV really is a new way of looking at things, a new visual language. There is so much detail, it's almost like you can walk into the picture," said Davis. "One of the things unique to the TV is color. And the story we've been creating for this project is about celebrating color in lots of ways. With Sony 4K we are working at the highest end of technology and creativity."
"It is so nice to have a larger color gamut to work with in 4K," added Miranda. "You can extract more information and show what you may not have seen before on a TV. Working with Sony 4K truly opens up the possibilities."
A broadcast spot starts airing this week nationally (view it here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhcvCZtNW9s), accompanied by digital, print and radio ads, mobile media and experiential events as well as retail point-of-purchase and interactive displays. Sony will also spread the word about the new 4K Ultra HD TVs through social networks, email, direct mail, and free standing inserts.
"The campaign calls out the enhanced quality of anything one would watch on a Sony 4K TV with a picture that is four times clearer than full HD," said Patrick Bewley, vice president of Brand Experience & Visual Design at Sony Electronics. "It's the highest resolution, most immersive experience Sony has ever created, and in order to experience it, you must see it in person to believe it."
The focus on 4K is the first piece of a year-long campaign that showcases emerging and established collaborators who have been inspired by Sony technology to create unique and unforgettable stories and Sony brand experiences. All aspects of this campaign were developed with the support of Sony Electronics' advertising agency 180 Los Angeles.
About Sony's XBR 4K Ultra HD TV Series
Joining the 84-inch XBR-84X900 in market since November 2012, the new XBR-55X900A (55-inch class – 54.6" diag.) and XBR-65X900A (65-inch class-64.5" diag.) models include the following features:
- Images become lifelike with a resolution of four-times that of Full HD TV (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- All content is viewed at the highest resolution possible with upscaling to near 4K with Sony's proprietary 4K X-Reality PRO picture engine
- All colors, including difficult blues, greens and reds, are delivered naturally and accurately through Triluminos display quantum dot technology
- An immersive picture draws in viewers with blacker blacks and excellent contrast produced with dynamic edge-lit, LED backlighting
- Amazing sound from the integrated 65 Watt, front-facing, magnetic fluid speaker system complements the stunning picture
- A cinematic experience is brought to life through Full HD 3D capabilities with passive glasses
- Entertainment choices are endless with Wi-Fi connectivity, including access to the full Sony Entertainment Network suite of services
For more information, visit www.sony.com/4ktv.
For more information including high-resolution images, visit www.sony.com/news or join the Sony Community: www.sony.com/blog; www.facebook.com/SonyElectronics; www.twitter.com/SonyElectronics; www.youtube.com/SonyElectronics; and www.pinterest.com/SonyElectronics.
SOURCE Sony Electronics
For further information: Elizabeth Boukis, Sony Electronics Inc., (408) 352-45-93, email@example.com