360 Reality Audio Now Available on Amazon Music Unlimited with Any Headphones
SAN DIEGO, Oct. 19, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Electronics Inc. today announced it will expand 360 Reality Audio distribution, content, and compatible devices, including support from Amazon Music Unlimited to play 360 Reality Audio content on headphones1.
"We are thrilled to introduce more services and devices that provide listeners with an opportunity to experience 360 Reality Audio," said Tyler Ishida, Deputy President for Consumer Business Group, Sony Electronics Inc. "360 Reality Audio is a powerfully immersive audio experience that represents our commitment to offering listeners high-quality sound that preserves the creator's true intent."
Introduced in 2019, Sony's 360 Reality Audio2 makes it possible for artists and creators to produce music by mapping sound sources such as vocals, chorus and instruments with positional information and placing them within a spherical space. This revolutionary musical experience, powered by Sony's 360 spatial sound technologies, evokes feelings of being in a music studio or live concert venue – all without leaving the comfort of home.
"By expanding 360 Reality Audio content to even more customers using Amazon Music, we're making it easier than ever for fans to experience immersive content," said Andre Stapleton, Global Head of Artist and Label Relations at Amazon Music. "Listening to music in 360 Reality Audio is a revelatory experience that puts fans inside the music, and I can't wait for even more listeners to hear their favorite songs in 360 Reality Audio."
360 Reality Audio Distribution, Content and Device Announcements:
- Support for Amazon Music Unlimited3: Beginning today, Amazon Music Unlimited will support 360 Reality Audio content playback on any headphones1. This will provide customers with even more ways to listen and enjoy 360 Reality Audio content.
With the purchase of eligible Sony headphones, as well as a range of other Sony Electronics products, customers will receive a 4-month free trial of a monthly Amazon Music Unlimited Individual Plan4. In addition to the free trial, to experience 360 Reality Audio with Amazon Music Unlimited (sold separately), please visit: https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited (United States) or https://www.amazon.ca/music/unlimited (Canada).
- Android 125 Supports 360 Reality Audio: Android 12 now supports MPEG-H 3D Audio, which includes 360 Reality Audio. Devices with Android OS gain the capability to playback 360 Reality Audio by incorporating the decoder, which makes it easier than ever for manufacturers to develop 360 Reality Audio-compatible devices.6 With this integration, Sony hopes to accelerate the expansion of 360 Reality Audio-compatible devices.
- Expanded 360 Reality Audio Products: 360 Reality Audio-compatible devices have been extended in various categories. To date, Sony has launched 360 Reality Audio-compatible soundbars (HT-A7000, HT-A5000), wireless neckband speakers (SRS-NS7), wireless speakers, headphones, Xperia devices and a home theater system (HT-A9).
Other companies7 have also announced 360 Reality Audio certified devices, including Audio-Technica's headphones, Sennheiser's soundbars, McIntosh's AV processors, and the Amazon Echo Studio, showcasing the industry's commitment to the format.
- Increased 360 Reality Audio Content: The number of compatible songs has increased to approximately 7,000 and includes artists like Alicia Keys, Duran Duran, Lil Nas X, P!NK and Pink Floyd.
"Over the last year, my engineer Ann and I worked passionately to reimagine my catalog in 360 Reality Audio, a process that found us pouring through music we love endlessly!" said Alicia Keys. "Making these spatial audio mixes revealed unforgettable moments—little details that define a song but tend to hide in the mix. I'm so proud of the results, and I can't wait for you to fall in love all over again with my music in 360 Reality Audio on Amazon Music."
"When there is a significant technological development in audio, as an artist I am always curious to explore the possibilities. I was thrilled when 360 Reality Audio contacted Duran Duran first to see if we might be interested in working together on creating content for their new music experience," said Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran. "Once I understood how this enhanced technology worked, particularly for headphones, we immediately started to experiment with bespoke mixes of tracks from our new album Future Past. The results were inspiring because the sound is immersive and unlike any previous experience for headphones. As a result, we now intend to slowly work our way back through the entire Duran Duran catalogue so that listeners can share this fresh, unique perspective for all of our songs."
- Extended 360 Reality Audio Content Distribution: By the end of 2021, Sony will provide a streamlined 360 Reality Audio content distribution solution for independent and non-professional artists. Vertical Craft Inc., which operates music distribution service "Tully App," and EVEARA, which develops its platform, will launch new services on their respective platforms to help artists easily distribute and stream 360 Reality Audio content, providing greater opportunities for artists to create with 360 Reality Audio. To learn more, please visit: https://tullyapp.com/ and https://www.eveara.com/.
For additional details on 360 Reality Audio, please visit:
- 360 Reality Audio official website: https://electronics.sony.com/360-reality-audio
- 360 Reality Audio licensing: https://www.sony.net/Products/360RA/licensing/
- 360 Reality Audio creative process: https://www.sony.net/create360RA
About Sony Electronics Inc.
Sony Electronics is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America and an affiliate of Sony Group Corporation, one of the most comprehensive entertainment companies in the world, with a portfolio that encompasses electronics, music, motion pictures, mobile, gaming, robotics and financial services. Headquartered in San Diego, California, Sony Electronics is a leader in electronics for the consumer and professional markets. Operations include research and development, engineering, sales, marketing, distribution and customer service. Sony Electronics creates products that innovate and inspire generations, such as the award-winning Alpha Interchangeable Lens Cameras and revolutionary high-resolution audio products. Sony is also a leading manufacturer of end-to-end solutions from 4K professional broadcast and A/V equipment to industry leading 4K and 8K Ultra HD TVs. Visit http://www.sony.com/news for more information.
*All listed product names are the trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation or of their respective owners.
1 360 Reality Audio can be experienced using any headphones with compatible online music services. Optimization of sound field by using Sony | Headphones Connect app is not available with Amazon Music Unlimited for now.
2 360 Reality Audio requires subscription to compatible online music service and third-party terms, conditions, account, and fees may apply.
3 Amazon, Amazon Music, Echo, Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Amazon account and Amazon Music Unlimited subscription required. Bluetooth® connection required.
4 The offer must be redeemed by February 28, 2024 11:59 PM (PT). This 4-month free trial offer of a monthly Amazon Music Unlimited Individual Plan is a limited time offer and is available only to new subscribers to Amazon Music Unlimited. After the promotional trial, your subscription will automatically continue at the monthly price of $9.99 ($7.99 for Prime members) plus applicable tax until you cancel. Your subscription continues until cancelled. Cancel renewal any time by visiting Your Amazon Music Settings (https://music.amazon.com/settings). This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Digital content and services may only be available to customers located in the U.S. and are subject to the terms and conditions of Amazon.com Services LLC. Offer limited to one per customer and account. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time. Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold. If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid. Amazon, Amazon Music, and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
5 Google and Android are trademarks of Google LLC.
6 Participating in 360 Reality Audio licensing program is necessary.
7 Please visit each company website for product details.
SOURCE Sony Electronics Inc.
For further information: Larry Smalheiser, Corporate Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Emily Ewing, Home Entertainment and Sound, email@example.com